Sunday, October 18, 2015

Slowing Down

So what did you wear to church this weekend? Ty is loving the current super hero theme!
We had dental appointments scheduled for three of us Tuesday morning. The dentist had to cancel at the last minute for an unexpected death in the family. I couldn't reschedule because I honestly don't know when to make the commitment. Two of my girls need haircuts and I can't figure out where to put that in our schedule either. We are once again in a season of "too busy". I don't like it and want to be more intentional about how our family spends time.





Today we took the kids for a walk on the bike trail at a local park. I found myself unable to keep up with my family which is quite unlike me. I tend to be a fast walker and have to deliberately slow my steps for a leisurely stroll. By the end of the trail I could hardly put one foot in front of the other. My legs felt like lead, my entire body hurt and I was exhausted. For the first time in two years, I was hit with a flare. I cannot begin to explain how sad this made me. Greg drove us home and I napped a bit this afternoon. We spent the rest of the day lounging around the house enjoying one another. One way or another, I will get rest but this was not what I had in mind.


But I have had time to recover and thank God for the minor intensity of this particular flare. My body is telling me it's time to reign in my diet, reduce stress and exercise more regularly. So I sat by the fire tonight with a hot cup of tea contemplating the blessings in my life to help lift me out of the fog I found myself in all day. Today's most notable were clear blue skies, crisp fall air, cozy sweaters, the crunch of fallen leaves under foot, the scent of those same fallen leaves, sunlight filtering through golden tree tops and the giggles of my children as they explored nature. Today was a blessing. They all are.

No comments: