Friday, October 3, 2014

A Mother's Prayer

It's 10 pm...."Now I lay me down to sleep....." Wait, did I lock the door and close the garage? Up to check, wipe down the counter I know I have wiped down twice since dinner but a teen took advantage of that minute I spent brushing my teeth. And back to bed.

10:10pm...."Where was I?  Oh, NOW I lay me down to sleep, I pray the Lord my soul to keep, my soul and those I pray seek him, and the homeless man screaming in front of Target last night. Lord, what do you want me to do with this tugging at my heart concerning your poorest of souls?"...

Umm, Mom??? Can I talk to you? Yes, what's up kiddo? I am upset about something that happened at school today.......

30 minutes later another teen piles into the same bed. My prayer journal has been set aside and the girls talk until well past 11 when my eyes start to close despite the desire to stay connected.

11:30, "Ok Lord, here's the deal. I love you. I want to serve you. I love my children and more than anything, I just need to sleep. I thank you for the bed in which I attempt to do that. Oh, and thank you for the children but if I should die before I wake, could you please make sure my bathrooms are clean?"

1 am......Mommy, I just had a little accident in the bathroom.

Awesome. Looks like I am going to wake. Thanks God.

No comments: