Friday, February 1, 2013

Yoga Pants

Did you know online personal stylists are available for a minimal charge to assist the fashion inept? I had no idea! I stumbled upon a blog about a few professionals who promised dress me according to my lifestyle and was intrigued so I started to answer a few introductory questions.

1. Which do you wear most often? A.) dresses  B.) jeans

I noted athletic pants were not and option and started reconsidering my need for a personal stylist.

2. Who referred you to our site? Please wait for an invitation to join.

I am not popular. Never have been. I was not a trend setter in high school nor can I imagine it's a role I need to assume at this point in my life. I may not be cut out for this particular group. It's okay. As it turns out, there weren't any recommendations for stay at home moms. Oh sure, they claimed they had options but in truth, people wipe their noses on me. I don't need to get too cleaned up for this gig. I'll stick with my commitment to shower, brush my teeth and style my hair every day.

Speaking of stay at home moms, I have some thoughts. On facebook lately I have noted women are a very judgmental group of people. Working moms can't fathom staying home with their children all day. Stay at home moms can't imagine focusing on their careers over raising their children. There are working moms who wish they could be at home and moms at home who'd give anything to have five minutes alone. I suspect we may be defensive about our decision because somewhere along the way, women were sent the message they not only could do anything but they should do it all. Every working mom I know is exhausted. Every stay at home mom I know is also exhausted. In truth, we all need to support each other. As a stay at home mom, I consider it my responsibility to minister to the working moms around me by keeping kids on snow days or picking up an ill child from school so that mom can maintain her job. In return I ask that she not belittle my role in my family or judge my booger coated yoga pants while she's professionally dressed. Balancing my home and a full time job is not my calling. I've tried it. My hat is off to working moms. I am not judging you. In fact, someday I would like to dress up and join you for lunch because that's the portion of the working mom role I think suits me.

Now if you will excuse me, I have a dryer to start for the eighth time today and cocoa to make. My kids are under the impression ten minutes of snow play equals one cup of cocoa. Since we don't live in a snowy region, I am happy to play along; however, wet clothes and the sugar buzz make me question the sanity of going with the flow on snow days.

2 comments:

Jill May said...

I almost spit out the apple I was eating when I got to the booger covered yoga pants part! Haha!!! I'm with ya, I'm hardly cut out for my part time gig let alone a full time one, and I have only 1 kid! Although, there are at least 3 kids that live in his 1 body, so I do believe that should count as me raising 3 11 year old boys at once....

A Mom to Two Lil' Ones said...

I have often thought I would like to be on the "what not to wear" show where they give you a makeover - but in the beginning they throw away what you own - and I rethink my idea, b/c I can't imagine this life without my booger covered yoga pants :)