Monday, February 18, 2013

The Weekend Review

We traveled to Theresa's for the day on Saturday to see some of the cutest little guys I know play basketball. Brennen is eight years old and fairly confident he will play for the University of Kentucky someday. He has serious talent. I am not biased in my proud Aunt, non-sports minded opinion. He is the smallest and youngest on his team but his teammates insisted on keeping the ball in his possession.
 
 


Mason is five and whereas he enjoys basketball, he isn't quite as passionate. For everything he lacks in competitiveness, he makes up for in sweetness. He ran up and down the court in a cluster of gold shirts. Watching this particular age group left me in awe of the coaches' job. It was as successful as herding cats, but a blast to watch.
 
 

Grandma took all her grand kids (with the exception of Erin) on a "Grandma Date" to McDonald's play-land. Grandma took my girls on dates every Wednesday when we lived near her. The kids remember those dates well and this one was prompted by Lauren who called Grandma two weeks ago while eating a McFlurry. She'd not had one since we moved away over six years ago and it brought back memories; treasured memories for Grandma too.
Speaking of memories. Mom brought a box full of my Grandma's things for Theresa and I to go through. My Grandma's house will be sold this week so everything has to be removed. I don't envy the job Mom's had the last few months. The box was difficult enough for us to sort through, I cannot imagine tackling an entire house.  It's a delicate balance deciding what to keep and what to donate. This platter will now be in my kitchen where I will think of her each time I serve my family dinner. It breaks my heart to know I will never sit around her kitchen table again. I miss her.
After arriving home from Theresa's late Saturday night, Erin woke us vomiting at 4am Sunday. Anytime you start your day mopping at 4am, it's going to be a long day. She woke on Saturday with a stiff neck. We assumed she slept on it funny and needed to ice it and take ibuprofen. The vomiting hit Sunday morning and a fever set in on Sunday evening. With the addition of the fever and the realization the neck pain had increased we realized she was fighting something more than the quick stomach bug the other kids had on Thursday. I called the doctor and was instructed to take her to the ER. The staff there was prompt and thorough but Erin had a rough night. It was her first IV and hopefully only spinal tap. Praise the Lord, she has a virus and nothing as crazy as the meningitis everyone was prepared for.

When I called, the doctor sent us to the local emergency room rather than Kosair Children's Hospital. I objected and pushed for Kosair because I knew how well they treated Colby a year ago and also knew Robyn would have connections there.  Please don't judge me. I would absolutely use connections when it comes to the health of my kids but I finally relented when it occurred to me that Erin will be 18 next month! Our local hospital was fantastic. I was pleased with their response and Erin's treatment. Today though, I am a bit weepy. I am tired and relieved.

2 comments:

Jill May said...

I am so glad Erin was okay, I hate that she had to have a spinal tap, but with the scare of meningitis it was worth getting to the root of the problem. Praying you get some much needed rest. I am happy that you have something special to keep from your grandma's kitchen, I know you will always treasure it! My gram has been gone almost 10 years now, but she seems so close when I use her rolling pin to roll out my bread dough and noodles. Love ya!

TeamWilmore said...

How frightening! I'm so glad it was just a virus! Poor Erin and poor mom and dad too!