Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Oatmeal Cookies and Medicine

I called my dad after another failed oatmeal cookie attempt today. My dad makes the best oatmeal cookies and he treats me to my own batch every birthday, which is just about the only thing I look forward to on birthdays at this stage of my life. His recipe is closely guarded and he refuses to share it "with just anyone". I know where the recipe originated and have followed that largely publicized version, even adding the secret ingredient and whereas I can get a very similar flavor, I can't get the exact texture. And his flat, slightly spicy cookies are the ones I crave. Today though, he let his guard down. He gave me his recipe and let it slip that he melts his butter rather than softens it. Score!

In truth, I don't try to duplicate his master recipe often because there is something special about handmade cookies from my dad on my birthday. I look forward to them and don't want them to lose their specialness. Besides, Hershey makes cinnamon chips which contribute to delicious oatmeal cookies; in case you need a "healthy" cookie. Welcome to the lies I tell myself and then wonder why I am gaining weight!


Erin's health has continued to be a concern this week. She was back to the doctor today with severe head and neck pain. She is still unable to move her head. As of today, the doctor assumes she has a migraine and pulled muscle because her repeated blood work is normal. It's frustrating to have her in pain without answers. It is also exasperating to explain it to a school demanding to know why her attendance looks the way it does. She fought mono first semester and this semester has dealt her the flu, a virus and whatever she is currently fighting. Bring on graduation.....Erin isn't the only one dealing with Senioritis this year. Mom's ready to be done too.

But my dad, God love him, called to tell me he's been in his 30 year old medical book again.  He thinks he's found what the doctors are missing in Erin's case. Encephalitis. Dad, I love you but please step away from the medical book. On the other hand, Dad is a much cheaper consult than the average doctor and at times, I fear we get about the same result.

1 comment:

TeamWilmore said...

I'm keeping Erin (and you) in my thoughts and prayers. You've been on my mind a lot lately ... we need a catch-up phone call soon!