Friday, February 24, 2023

Week Eight

Daffodils are blooming! Spring is coming! Erin and I held down my porch swing while we discussed life, menopause and cute spring dresses for hours Sunday. We needed a blanket across our bodies but the heavy dose of vitamin D was necessary. 

Our weekend was restful around another eleven hour migraine. This is the seventh in two months. I am researching possible connections but fear the need to invest in medical support sooner rather than later. 

Friends had us over twice for meals and we spent the weekend laughing as result. Diesel was invited to one and spent over three hours exhausting the young Aussie Shepherds that lived there. Apparently this is not easy to do. Diesel has skills. 🤨 The math on this is One Diesel can wear out Two Aussies. 




Little man has been begging for a haircut since they arrived on the island but at $35 for a Great Clips experience that is often Not Great, Lauren has hesitated. He could not smile any bigger though so I guess it was a good investment.

Lauren says the dust has mostly settled from the move. She has a laundry room she tries not to look in as it is likely to crumble. The downsizing has been more brutal than she initially anticipated. Having cupboards not tall enough to stand a cup inside has created some organizational challenges. So she often closes the door and heads to the beach instead. Living in paradise has it's perks. 


Tuesday I lamented how long the week had been. On Tuesday. Like, the second day of the week. Lord help me. The kids were wild and I needed to pull eighty of them through assessments. It was not a good time. But there were some redeeming moments and I celebrated hard as a few of our kiddos accomplished awesome goals. There is a good reason I put myself through this insanity. But my energy simply didn't match the challenge this week. And for the first time ever, I put myself in timeout in the library for five minutes while I took deep breaths. This was a much better option than losing my mind on a rowdy group of second graders. Thank God for the librarian.

I hosted the entire yearbook club today for the digital reveal. The kids cheered and clapped for one another as each page was presented. I was surprised by their reaction and loved every second of it. I'm pretty proud of them. 

Ty, the boy who represented Homeless Spiderman for years and who thought until very recently that multiple shades of the same color matched, had a meltdown before school this week because he had nothing to wear. I have to admit, I never saw that one coming. It was the day I arrived at work later than usual; caffeinated and medicated. 

I just completed my eighth book of the year and the slower pace has been a challenge for me. I prefer to constantly have my nose in  book. The latest memoir A Beautiful Terrible Thing shook me with it's timing about a marriage involving a narcissistic sociopath. A difficult discussion took place this week with someone we love who has reentered a relationship with a man who previously exhibited similar tendencies. The red flags are waving and this woman cannot see them. Standing by while people we love self destruct is brutal. Perhaps, I know why I failed to keep my head above water this week after all. 

No comments: