Friday, March 3, 2023

Week Nine

Sunday night's sunset was incredible.

Ty's science and technology class had him creating a pinewood derby car. He brought it home last weekend for some custom touches. He wanted it to resemble a Bugatti Chiron. The boy says this is his dream car, although he says he is okay "to start with a cheap car like a Camero when (he) turns sixteen." He's new here. 


Monday my coworker gifted me with a chai tea to kick start what will be several long weeks of testing and Read Across America. Then we parted ways for the foreseeable future, as we have separate roles for most of the this month and next. Spring is weird in public schools.

Sunset from the bible study porch was stunning.


Tuesday at Bible study I held a three pound puppy and was completely distracted. He obeyed commands and I couldn't help but think it wouldn't matter much if he didn't. How much trouble could he possibly cause compared the the beast in my house?  
Both Diesel and I enjoy the glimpses of spring and warmer temperatures. He has resumed his post as neighborhood guard dog when he isn't escaping to find friends. My phone rang twice recently, "is this Diesel's mom?" Sigh. 


Wednesday I took a planned day off to meet Kristil, who was in Indy for a few days from Cleveland. Kate and Ty lamented my day off, as they both assumed they deserved it more. Ty, the less eloquent of the two actually quipped that all I do is sit around talking to kids all day. I obviously didn't need a day to recover from that. 🤨 He's sweet. But the day was absolutely gorgeous and the company so very welcomed. 

After dinner, Greg and Ty played HORSE while Kate cheered, or called her brother a HOR until the elusive S was scored. The neighbors hate us. I held down the porch swing and drank in the fresh air and laughter. It was such a restorative day. 
When we play basketball, Diesel gets an old football to keep him from stealing the ball. He has his own basketball too but prefers the football. 


Thursday we learned we all scored a day off on Friday due to severe weather forecasts. I debated the merits of deep cleaning my house for a bit before ultimately deciding that wasting this time cleaning would be dumb if we got a tornado. Surface clean will suffice once again. 

Daddy's home!


The cancellation of school on Friday was disappointing though. We had quite a bit planned for Read Across America and guests who may or may not be able to reschedule. However, a day to collect our bearings at home is never a bad idea either. It is what it is. As it turns out, we are processing a significant decision surrounding Ty's education and needed some time to gather information. The day off was a gift after all. 


My AC unit was here.....and the next round of wind stripped some of this siding. What a mess.

By the late afternoon, I was grateful for neighbors who jumped in to help me get our trampoline off the neighbor's fence. We opted to leave someone else's trampoline wedged between our house and fence so it wouldn't do any further damage. It had already knocked over our AC unit. This weather was no joke. 

Erin is wearing her trusty headlamp and at one point, flipped it on while declaring she had an idea. She cracks me up.

We were without power so we made dinner charcuterie to sustain us. A card game of Like U by candlelight kept us laughing and talking for hours. The mess will still be here tomorrow; however, the evening was pretty decent despite the challenges of the day. 

No comments: