Friday, February 17, 2023

Week Seven


This weekend marks the two year anniversary of Erin's hysterectomy. The months immediately following her surgery were an enormous relief. But as she has processed the cost and met fellow survivors, she has often struggled with the loss. Survivor guilt kicks in every now and then and she feels somewhat indebted to make this one precious life matter. Of course it does but our girl will always strive for more. These last two years have been a bit turbulent as physicians panicked over unusual symptoms and sent her in for testing repeatedly. Each time pathology was required, we held our collective breath. Scan-xiety is real and we aren't immune, despite our desire to walk fully in faith. And so she takes this one precious life and lives it fully. Her version involves Cuban food, amazing friendships, compassion for the vulnerable, drive for lofty education goals and a family that adores her. Our beautiful girl is healthy. 

The week was long and at times, hard. Ty had a week worth of makeup work to complete on top of this week's homework. There were tears. Some of them, his. Sigh. I don't believe I've been this stressed about middle school since 1986. I wasn't sure I was going to survive it then and I'm not so sure we are going to make it through this round without medication and alcohol. Greg prayed over dinner Thursday night simply, "Lord help us." Amen.

Just when I thought I couldn't love Anna more...She is ten and this math test answer may be my most favorite part of the week. 

Anna and I putting the final touches on the yearbook today. 

We were gifted a gorgeous sunny day and two very mild evenings spent on a porch. I needed every moment of fresh air and am grateful for the opportunity to open windows to usher out the stale winter air. Spring simply cannot arrive soon enough for my weary soul because this morning arrived with flurries and ridiculous temperatures.


Makenna went from looking adorable at work to testing positive for covid. She loves her students so the unplanned days off we're anything but welcomed but she is managing symptoms fairly well. 






Kate and Hagan attended a school dance Saturday evening because he wanted to go. She wasn't all that interested but they did end up having a good time. I laughed as Hagan's mom pointed out the hours he spent getting ready as opposed to Kate who pulled her hair into a braid and declared it good enough. She is anything but fussy about these things. 
Saturday afternoon I had the unique privilege of photographing a wedding for this adorable couple. These lovely ladies have been together for forty years and decided to make it official with a months' notice. I stepped in as a favor for a friend because I am not a wedding photographer. The event was a casual family party and I'm glad I agreed to step out of my comfort zone. I'm still not a wedding photographer but I'd love to hang out with this group again someday. They were a good time. Also, I kinda hope to grow up to be like my new feisty friend. She had everyone laughing the entire day. 

Lauren and Taylor received their household goods this week! They are so happy to be back in real beds after two long months. Austin is excited to have his toys again. They are now navigating creative storage solutions as they have downsized by more than a thousand square feet. Hawaii isn't yet feeling like paradise but they are still seeking adventure and making the most of the experience. 

No comments: