Thursday, September 5, 2013

Kate's first paper

We've been exploring the writing process in language arts. Kate has been as frustrated by the editing process as each of her sisters before her. Here is her final draft.

I felt good about doing something nice for someone else. Harper is a girl my age in our community who is really sick with cancer. She has two sisters who are also sad because their sister is so sick. I heard they like American Girl dolls but didn't have any. I let each of them choose one of mine. After they picked their favorites, I picked out clothes and furniture to go with them. Harper, Finely and Cadence were excited to get new dolls. I felt good about myself for giving something to a family hurting so much. 

If you care to follow Harper's courageous battle with cancer, you can follow her caringbridge site at http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/harperwehneman1
or her dad's blog at http://thewadventures.blogspot.com/. Please keep this family in your prayers. Harper is Kate's age and this horrible disease literally came out of nowhere.
For the record, all of Kate's American Girl dolls were handed down from her sisters. They have a Grandma Carol who invested in them as Christmas presents over the years. The older girls were also thrilled to see their dolls going to such a deserving family.

4 comments:

Jill May said...

Kate, you have a heart of gold, and you are a wonderful friend to Harper. I am proud of you, sweet girl! :)

Baughman Family said...

Kate has never met Harper. We sent the dolls with Harper's girl scout leader who happens to be in my bible study group. Just knowing she is the same age and going through so much touched her heart.

TeamWilmore said...

Oh my goodness ... I am weeping! What a beautiful child!!!! God bless her! Give her a big hug and tell her I think she's absolutely spectacular!!! Not to mention a fantastic budding writer!

A Mom to Two Lil' Ones said...

Love that picture of the girls - all smiles!
And I am so very proud of your sweet girl and her big heart.