Thursday, August 29, 2013

Confession

Anne and I started exchanging our candy corn sightings a few weeks ago. Each time one of us mentioned a new location it was available, the other would respond, "it's too soon". We finally agreed upon a practical date for all things fall; September 1, even though Anne cleverly pointed out it wouldn't be official for the rest of the country until September 22. We're rebels.

The truth is I have been baking pumpkin related products using almond or coconut flour under the guise of "I need to see if I can bake on this diet" for a couple weeks. Sneaky excuses. I can bake on this diet. The problem is most people are used to refined sugars and don't appear to appreciate said baked items. I am; therefore, eating more of it than I should.

This morning I tackled the attic in preparation for our upcoming neighborhood garage sale and decided the amount of mess I was making warranted pulling out the fall decorations as well. I only want to clean up insulation debris once each season. My living room exploded into a giant conglomeration of clothes outgrown by Kate, Christmas stuff I am selling in two weeks and fall decorations I want to use on Sunday. I was able to put everything else in a practical place but couldn't decide where to store the fall decorations. Just like the baking, I found an excuse to decorate early.

On the mantel. Thank you Pinterest. 

I texted Anne. "I just started decorating for fall. And I may or may not have purchased my first bag of candy corn last night". She answered, "this is why we are friends".  Now, I am not even certain I can eat the candy corn with peanuts but will be darned if I am not going to try. The candy is still safely tucked away in the cabinet but it's basket is on display. Compromise. It's really just a crazy little game I play in my head.
My father-in-law went on an exchange program to Russia as the superintendent of the career tech center in our hometown and brought this little chair back for Erin who was a newborn at the time. I have not used it in this house but after a $3 can of spray paint  was applied this afternoon, I suspect I will find ways to incorporate it moving forward. 

I am ready for fall. I crave the ease of jeans, hot tea on the swing in the mornings and open windows. My house may be ready but according to Mother Nature, it's still summer. She wins every time.
The kids spent some time painting yesterday afternoon to escape the heat of the day. I deliberately chose warn hues in hopes of gaining some frame-able art work to aid in my decorating this season. Ty announced upon completion he'd painted a picture of Grandpa. A few hours later, he declared he forgot his eyes. 

4 comments:

A Mom to Two Lil' Ones said...

This Anne friend is either really cool or a bad influence ;)

Love all the decorations!! Very pretty and so creative - love the pinterest idea framed on mantle and the chair.

Jill May said...

I really love the count your blessings idea and may have to steal it! :) I am ready for fall,too. I have been canning apple butter and the smell of it has made it so fall like in here! And, as usual, Ty has cracked me up. Love the pic of eyeless grandpa!

TeamWilmore said...

When fall arrives there, please send it here! And were you able to eat candy corn???

Baughman Family said...

Kristil, rumor has it we will see fall this weekend. I will see if there is a way to send some toward Texas, as long as I can keep it here too......Otherwise, you may just have to visit! As for the candy corn and peanuts....I was able to manage a few. They were oh so sweet.