Thursday, August 1, 2013

Back to school

Ready for the first day of school?? Umm....no. 
Last night, the note on the counter read, "If I am not dead in the morning, please kill me" and it was in Makenna's handwriting. She started the eighth grade today and feared she had nothing to wear. I thought it was a bit dramatic and perhaps slightly overstated since we had just been back to school clothes shopping. When she started vomiting at midnight, I realized just how worked up she'd allowed herself to get. She fears three things. First, she may fail. Second, she will have no friends and third, she may be late to a class because she doesn't know where she's going all day. Middle school is hard. Being thirteen is tough too.
Not sure which one was responsible for this note but either would agree

Lauren starts her junior year next Thursday and was emailed her class roster last night. She also burst into tears and stormed out of the house exclaiming she has no friends and can't go back to school. It was at that moment, I texted my sister the following:

me: do you remember the time when we were really young and I took you out to help me find a place to run away to? We only had a two block radius so we weren't gone long but do you remember that day?

Theresa: no, I don't remember that. Why?

me: well, I was hoping to enlist your help again.

Theresa: can there be sand and gentle waves? (we are allowed outside those two blocks in Nebraska now)

me: YES!! That's it! Let's go there! NOW.

Theresa: I'll bring pina coladas. (My sister is awesome)

You see, my diet is really hard and I have worked to stick to it. If certain symptoms persist, the next recommended task is to reduce stress. First and foremost, it needs to be understood that starving is stressful but beyond that, reducing stress may not be possible unless I run away.



2 comments:

A Mom to Two Lil' Ones said...

I love the creative notes your kids leave around the house (or on the fridge) :)

I hope everyone has a great year in school this year!

And if you run away....pack me in the suitcase, okay?

Jill May said...

I cannot, under any circumstances, allow you to runaway alone. I shall accompany you. We will drink pina coladas on a beach somewhere. Friends don't allow friends to do that by themselves. :)