Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Reality

Am I the only one who stops in the middle of chaos and looks for cameras? There have been a lot of situations lately I have thought, "there is no way this is really happening" and looked to see if I had been set up by some reality-based practical joke TV program. On Tuesday, Brutus refused to walk. He was lethargic and clearly not feeling well. I literally looked up toward Heaven and asked, "really?" Today though, Brutus is fine. God has a sense of humor. I think.

Erin took her driver's exam yesterday. Ty packed accordingly. I think he already understands the speed in which the BMV typically operates. By the way, she passed. She drove the truck to school today. Against my better judgement, I did not follow her. Or call her. Or put a GPS tracking system on the truck. Or notify all four of our neighborhood police officers. Only because it would solidify everyone's suspicions I have clearly lost my mind.
Because I swear, it was just a moment ago she was in this phase. Where did the time go? It's been years since she last sat on my lap and yet, I can still remember vividly how that felt. Time has flown and I am supposed to be ready to watch her soar. Part of me is. I am so proud of her. She is ready. Me? Not so much. When she got home today, I casually mentioned it would be oh so helpful if she'd tell me she thought she'd be home at 4:15 when 4:00 was her plan. Today she said 4 or 4:30 and at 4:02 I was certain she was involved in a tragic accident and would never come home again. I was completely level headed and reasonable. I thought I'd played it cool but Lauren and Makenna ratted me out with sarcastic comments about pacing and crying....whatever. It was the first time my baby drove herself away from home. I will relax with time. Perhaps.
The "under 10" crowd is out of their minds. The fat guy in the red suit can't come a moment too soon. They're a little excited. Decorations are up. Gifts have been made. Christmas photos have been attempted. Twice. Twas the Night Before Christmas is being read regularly and our little advent calendar is being filled in....this year, Santa's beard with cotton balls. It's cute. We've received three Christmas cards in the mail. They are displayed on the memo board in the kitchen, taunting me. There may not be Christmas cards from this particular branch of the Baughman family this year. I am actually okay with that at this point. Life is too short to stress Christmas photos. After 18 years of marriage, the only opinion about that decision that bothers me is my mother-in -law's. She's pretty strict about traditions. We see her on Sunday. Maybe she hasn't noticed? Of course she's noticed! Maybe one more try? As I said, sometimes I think reality cameras are watching and people are laughing at me.

2 comments:

Brenda W. said...

It does get easier with the new driver situation! At the end of the month I will have another one with a permit!!! I am ready for this one to have his license since he is the one with all of the baseball practices. I enjoy having another driver since Joe works such an unusual schedule. Sure saves me some trips if I can have Charlie drive for some of the errands!

Baughman Family said...

Brenda, it will be nice to have another driver with Greg's schedule as well! Lauren is already eligible for her permit. I am holding out just a little longer. She's a little too eager!