Friday, February 7, 2014

Winter days

Arms were crossed across his chest. A scowl firmly set upon his face. He did not want to go out yesterday. It was cold. He is tired of winter and wants to play outside without a coat.

How many hours does the average mother spend locating specific legos?

Erin was stranded in a friend's driveway this week. I picked her up at the end of the lane and Greg took her back the following morning with the truck and tow straps. Over an hour later, her car was free. She too is finished with winter.
Earlier this week, desperate for projects to distract busy kids we pulled out the paints. Legos, card games and admittedly the wii have been over used.


Lauren took a hammer out to deal with the ice on her van. Under normal circumstances this would be alarming. However, nothing is normal right now.

 All the signs were there. She was glassy eyed, droopy and didn't eat breakfast. We had to grocery shop yesterday because we were out of everything. Literally everything. Her legs were weights she barely lifted and her chills wouldn't stop despite the absence of fever. Kate was miserable but we wrapped up at Meijer successfully. My tolerance for illness is approximately 24 hours under normal circumstances but as I have already stated, nothing is normal right now. We need fresh air. We need routine. We need the older kids in school every day and on full schedules. I can't remember our last normal week. I also need a timeout because when Kate is ill, she moans. She whines. She follows me around the house to do these things. I swear she has far more energy than required to heal within 24 hours but she wastes it following me! I am not an easy person to keep up with as I rarely sit down, yet she perseveres. Lord help me. I love her but I have all but lost my mind today.

1 comment:

Jill May said...

Oh, how warm weather and normalcy sounds so amazing!!! I hope Miss Kate feels better soon and you can have some quiet "mommy" time!!!