Thursday, May 30, 2013

Ohio will never be the same

We lost a friend Tuesday morning. Peggy lived next door to us in Ohio for the nine years we lived on Hile Lane. Peggy was an original. We shared an October birthday although she was a bit older than me. Her adult children were in fact older than me but we were friends non the less. Peggy was feisty and strong. She was ornery too. My kids loved her and she loved my kids. As much as she adored Greg, he was the one she chased around the yard with a switch while he mowed the yard because our freshly mowed lawn made hers look bad! Greg says he still looks over his shoulder while mowing. And believe me, if she had the opportunity, she would still show up to harass him.

Telling the girls broke my heart. Lauren finally composed herself enough to declare, "Ohio will never be the same". So true. The last couple of summer trips we've made there has found the girls sitting on Peggy's porch     confiding and laughing more than one evening of our visit. That porch was her perch and she kept watch over us all. That porch was the location for many many late night talks over hot cocoa after my babies were asleep and Greg left for work. I haven't had a cup of hot cocoa "with milk and not water" since without remembering her. Now those cups will be bittersweet. Rest easy dear friend. You will be missed.

No comments: