Thursday, October 3, 2013

Boys!

Last evening, I took Ty, Kate and Erin with me to Makenna's choir concert. Ty panicked as we entered the theater because he was afraid it might be scary. I assured him there wasn't anything to be afraid of; however, Ty sat through the concert with his hands over his ears anyway. They sounded great despite my son's reaction.

A few weeks ago, Greg walked up behind me in the kitchen and seasoned food I had just prepared. I asked him what he was doing and he answered, "helping you". Thanks but I just finished seasoning that food and didn't think it needed more. Did you taste it first? He answered that he hadn't and I very calmly asked him if he could use words the next time he wanted to help so that I could perhaps direct him toward a task that would indeed be helpful.

This morning, Ty and I had a discussion about our upcoming trip to Grandma and Grandpa's house. He wants them to come to our house instead. I pointed out the purpose of the visit is to help Grandma and Grandpa tear down their pool and deck so we have to go there this time. Ty first analyzed he hadn't eaten enough vegetables lately to be strong enough to help. I pointed out that we would use saws and hammers to break the wood and then he could carry it to the trash. He took off in a flash to gather his tools and was ready to leave immediately. He has the tools to help after all. By the way, if you have eaten your veggies and are willing to help this weekend, stop by! We won't be out and about socializing this trip but would welcome more muscles to the task if you want to see us.

On Sunday, I went to church and Greg stayed behind with teens who's schedules overlapped my volunteer hours. I made a list of things I needed to achieve that day to be prepared for the week ahead. Greg noted the list and had the kids help clean the house before I returned. It was a wonderful surprise. I was grateful and he scored major points. However, I noted over the next couple of days some really unusual streaking on the entertainment center. I finally asked Greg this morning what product he used to dust the furniture. A sheepish expression quickly passed over his face before he asked me why I wanted to know. I mentioned the streaks, trying to keep my voice very accepting because only an idiot would discourage people from dusting the house for her. He slowly answered, "Amour-all so dust won't stick to it". I casually walked out of the room, took a few deep breaths and then walked back in where I again remained very calm and requested he use his words when he wants to help.

My son helps me gain a deeper understanding of my husband. They want to help. They want to use tools to make jobs easier and more effective. They think differently than their female counterparts. I love them both dearly. Now if you will excuse me, I need to Google how to remove Armour-all from entertainment centers.


No comments: