Sunday, September 23, 2012

Countdown


 
He asked, "how many more days until that school is done with me?" Just five sweet boy, just five. It will likely be a long week for us. The trainer will return this week to transition my room back into her care. She is legalistic about odd things and too laid back about others. I will be silently praying for one little guy who is terrified of the beds and one other child in the room. He crawls onto my lap after all the others have fallen asleep and is out within seconds. I set him in the chair and tell him I will be taking care of something and he sleeps soundly for almost an hour. Prior to our little chair routine, I spent an hour persuading a screaming toddler to lie down on his bed only to have him sleep for 15 minutes and wake up screaming again. The trainer insists the bed is necessary. She doesn't seem to think we need to protect him from the other child though. There are no victims or bullies in RIE. It's going to be a very long week. I've also broken the "no interaction" rule with the baby in the room. I can't stand to leave him lying on his back in a dim corner with tan walls. I believe babies need nurturing and interaction beyond diaper changes and bottles. Going back to ignoring his cries will be difficult. I wish I could take them home with me.

4 comments:

angel0199 said...

I am glad your are doing what is best for your family. I am a little confused about what is going on with the babies there. Montessori philosophy suggests that beds and cribs are confining and unnecessary and that nurturing children is necessary to build neurological connections. Hugs. I know this week will be hard.

Baughman Family said...

Montessori training doesn't start until age 3 and there are a lot of interpretations of what exactly is meant by "Montessori". The program I am involved in is for birth through age 2 and is called RIE. It's unique and has elements I find beneficial but others I don't appreciate. Clearly allowing a toddler rule the roost is not in anyone's best interest and only nurturing an infant during care giving times leaves a lot to be desired. It was designed for an orphanage and then was tweaked to be an "all natural" approach to parenting.

A Mom to Two Lil' Ones said...

First of all - I love the top photo of Ty. Second - I am so happy that you have made this decision. And third - my heart breaks for the infant that just lies there looking at tan walls - actually - my heart breaks for all the sweeties in there - I am way too nurturing, I guess...

KaraD said...

That is of the school and makes you wonder if the parents of these children are aware of the methods. Partically
for the baby. Surely that is insane.