Wednesday, August 16, 2017

What!?!

I started this week coming off an emotional weekend; the details something I cannot share but Greg and I found ourselves thrust into unchartered territory for someone we love. It was brutal.

I had the nerve to complain Sunday when I came down with a head cold because I don't have time for that right now. This must be the part where God laughed. You see, I have been spinning my wheels all year. As in ALL year dealing with on-going seasons of challenges, loss and change. I have experienced very real moments with God where I am surrendering, crying, angry or depleted. In other words, He is working on me.

I woke Tuesday completely convinced it was Wednesday. No matter how many times in the early hours of that day, one of the kids corrected me, my brain would not accept reality and I was off kilter all day. That evening, I walked with my neighbor to talk through some of my tougher thoughts and while on that walk, I fell. I still can't figure out how it happened but by all accounts, it appears I literally tripped over my own foot. On a flat road. Seriously.

I no longer bounce. I was in a state of shock in the immediate moments and thank God Leah was able to call Greg and hold Layla's leash for me. I busted my face on the pavement and was taken aback by the amount of blood pooling under me. Both Leah and I feared I had just knocked out my teeth. I did feel them jar but nothing is loose. Amen. My face has seen better days but that was true before I fell.

I realized; however, something was very wrong with my right arm. Greg took me to the emergency room while Leah waited with the kids until Makenna could be called out of tech to relieve her. I broke my wrist but had a doctor with a sense of humor, making the experience as enjoyable as possible. (I don't get out nearly enough.)

However, my right arm and hand could very well be the only arm I need because my left only serves to secure babies to my hip. Some things are about to change! Not only is the left hand lazy and under utilized, but it too is swollen and bruised. I have managed several tasks despite the odds of an old klutz learning new tricks and can apparently even chicken peck a keyboard long enough to find humor in an otherwise unpleasant experience.

I followed up with a surgeon today who surprised me by saying my wrist was close enough to being considered aligned, he was comfortable watching it with weekly xrays for a few weeks. Obviously I hope to avoid surgery so I will baby it as much as a busy mom can. And then he shocked me by not casting my arm! I went from a splint holding my arm at a 90 degree angle and covering my fingers to a brace! He anticipates additional swelling and doesn't want to cut off circulation. Freeing my fingers and increasing my range of motion had me fighting tears of relief.

Don't worry though. My family has been supportive. Greg has navigated meals, cut my food and talked me off a ledge or two. He is awesome even if he is a little bossy.

Ty willingly offered Benjamin to clean the bathrooms and Makenna questioned, "real talk. Are we going to starve?" Taylor suggesting I toss some essential oils on the broken wrist and then sharing encouraging lines like, "suck it up Buttercup" resulted in a call from Lauren today assuring us that Taylor will not make it out of labor and delivery alive if his response to seeing someone in pain doesn't improve!

In other words, all is normal here.

No comments: