Wednesday, May 17, 2017

Celebrating Kate

Caught a bit between an emerging teen and a sweet little girl, Kate has turned twelve. Missing teeth highlight her smile. Hair and clothing are important some days but more often she still chooses the comfort of messy buns and yoga pants. She remains kind but all too often now, we see a side of sass like her sisters before her. I will it to slow down all the while, she cannot wait to grow up.


She can still be found flipping in parking lots and grocery aisles just as easily as sitting quietly with her iPod in her room alone. Her baking skills have already surpassed everyone else in the family and she has sweet talked friends into letting her redecorate their rooms. I don't recall another where the pull was as strong to cuddle with mom and still love her blanket at this age but I also don't know that the others were as poised as Kate either.




I love the complexity almost as I dread the coming days. This is my last baby girl. I have loved mothering as much as I have wrestled with each child in that bittersweet way they grow away from me but still need me near; just not too close.




She is a preteen; little still but also big.


 

Happy twelfth birthday to you, Kate Ryan. You are beautiful inside and out. I love you.

1 comment:

A Mom to Two Lil' Ones said...

This got me a little teary eyed. She is growing up into a beautiful (both inside and out) young lady.
Happy Birthday Kate, We love you sweet girl!!!