Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Work Hard, Play Hard, Rest Hard



Maverick found digging in dirt to be serious business. His momma also appreciates dirty kids at the end of the day. The dirtier they are, the more fun they've had.


It was a full week of outdoor work. We've tackled the landscape bruised and battered from a hard winter. We've built a raised garden bed but are waiting on spring showers to cease so soil can be hauled in. The kids were so filthy at the end of each day, I threatened to hose them off outside before allowing them into the shower.




We have two special people in our lives in the hospital combating on-going serious conditions. We've made the rounds between Home Depot runs smelling less than appealing, I am certain. I hope hospital visits fall into gift giving rules of, "it's the thought that counts".

I have been battling spring fever and don't want to be the responsible mother who cleans, cooks, grocery shops and keeps someone on task in school. I just want to read my book in the sunshine. Being a grown up has its downfalls even though I believe childhood is hard work too.
Greg has been experimenting with my dad's old charcoal grill and his new smoker. Ribs have been mastered and we're moving onto our next favorite. I love this hobby of his! And eating outside? Yes please.

Speaking of growing up, on Easter Sunday I was agitated. I was worn out from two days away and Greg wisely sent me to bed for a nap. He literally pulled the locked door behind him with strict instructions to not come out until I had napped. I started to object because "he is not the boss of me" but quickly reconsidered the implications. A nap? Whoa! I think I could use one of those. After all, whereas there is a four in my age, it isn't the only digit and had to bravely attempt to behave more maturely than my son. I tried. I really tried but heard every complaint, mess being made, argument and ultimately left the room twenty minutes later grumpier than I started.
Erin didn't make it into the house after a particularly long day at work. This is where I found her at dinner time. Sister knows how to nap.

Last night Makenna was baking cookies for a teacher leaving the school today. Somewhere in the middle of batch three, the oven blew up. Literally. The pop startled me two rooms away and Makenna let out a scream that brought everyone else out of bed to investigate. In my next house, I have one new requirement. A landlord. I want to call someone when things like this happen and say, "you have a problem". As I said, being a grown up is not always a good time.

No comments: