Thursday, September 15, 2011

What just happened?

Tuesday night at bedtime the director of Lauren's school called and offered Kate a spot in the 6-9 class. We were on a waiting list that was so long we doubted we'd be getting this call until third grade at the earliest. The catch was that we had to start today if we wanted the position. Given how well Lauren is doing and how strongly I wish we could turn back the clock for her to have had more years learning in this environment, we took it. Kate started school today with a huge grin on her face. She literally hugged me as we approached her studio, said a quick goodbye and tried to walk away from me prior to me making eye contact with her teacher! She was welcomed by a group of smiling girls and a warm, friendly teacher. She is sure to have a great day and year. I wasn't prepared for this so soon and have found myself tearing up frequently this morning. This is an amazing opportunity for her and we know she will thrive socially and academically. Makenna and I will have a lot of time to spend together. There is one person ahead of her on the waiting list but the director seems confident she won't be placed until the fall. Until then, we have a few projects we'd like to get into during the boys' nap times.

1 comment:

Jill May said...

She will do wonderful like her sisters because you have prepared her so well for this!!!! This is always harder on us than on them, I think! Enjoy your one on one with Makenna, that will be a blessing to you both. Love you, my friend!!! :)