Saturday, August 6, 2022

Corralling Cats

I spent the week corralling Cats; also known as, returning to elementary school. Holy chaos, Batman, it was wild. I haven't yet started the role I signed up for, but I am busy and for the most part, having a great time getting to know our youngest students. Observing the new superintendent assisting with kindergarten lunch may remain in my top ten favorite memories of the year. 


Ty reluctantly returned to middle school to start his seventh grade year Wednesday. So far he likes all his teachers and hasn't had homework. We are calling it a win.


Kate started her final year of high school on Monday. She too, likes all her teachers and is for the most part, enjoying herself. Having English 12 followed by English 11 in back-to-back classes is not her favorite but the teachers are friends who collaborate on assignments so she may come out ahead in the long run. 


Her best friend had a reaction to the covid vaccine one year ago that landed her in a wheelchair, unable to walk or feed herself for months. Countless hours of therapy and treatment had her on the football field this week in the annual girl's turkey bowl, looking like an athlete again. We literally thank God for turning this around for her.  I mean, look at her!


Our grandson started preschool Thursday and loved it. He gave his mom nothing but shrugs and simple answers to all her questions about his day. I laughed, "you are a boy mom. Get used to it!" These guys cannot care less we miss them like crazy while they are in the care of others.


Saturday afternoon I took a nap. Both Greg and Ty took photos to show me what I slept through. I guess I needed the sleep, but this puppy has absolutely decided I am his person. I am as surprised as anyone else. 
Mom left without him and he was not happy.


On our first day of kindergarten, we had a situation where a child assumed the identity of another student. When the attendance office called home, the school went into lock down to find our missing student. She was there the entire time. She had decided she liked another child's name better and stuck to her story beyond reason. The child whose name she stole was not at school and no one had called her in so we were none the wiser. Once the parents and police entered our classroom to identify the ornery little girl and enough time had passed to see humor in the experience, I decided I'd also like at times to assume a new identity. Friday, I became the Sherri who takes a mandatory furlough day and created a lovely long, relaxing weekend for herself and her hubby. 

No comments: