Friday, July 16, 2021

Summer Break Week Seven

It's the seventh week of summer and I'm not ready to let it go. Our summer bucket list has only four remaining openings and I am beyond tempted to add items. I need more time. School supplies are displayed at Target and I cannot bring myself to step into that department. It's too soon. The re-opening school plans make my heart race. No one is ready, it appears as my sophomore has recieved word her schedule won't be finalized until after her first day begins. And so here we are, seventeen months into a pandemic and we are still required to be flexible. How far can one bend before she breaks? I truly need to know because I'm dangling precariously near that edge.


Our week was drama filled as a teen demonstrated his suicide on FaceTime with my daughter and another peer was diagnosed with lymphoma the same day. The weight of it all consumed her. The world is heavy and we're struggling to make sense of it all. But I hold tight to God's word. We were made for such a time as this and He has a plan. I am known for a lot, but patience isn't one of those things. His plan has not yet been made clear and I'm impatiently tapping my foot in the waiting.  He loves this, I'm certain.




Theresa gave my dad glasses designed to help those with color blindness to see color the way the rest of us do. The experience was incredible. We can't wait for a fall drive so he can see the foliage. He wants to see a rainbow and the ocean soon too.











Ty begged us not to sing so Theresa demonstrated how she has been practicing with voice lessons.

Ty saved to purchase his own gaming system a few months ago. He wanted a second game controller so friends could play too. Grandma Pattie was able to locate one despite supply shortages. He was pumped.




We had a great visit with family and the kids enjoyed a few parent-free days with Aunt Theresa. Her house has no rules so it was the vacation they craved. Greg and I insisted the young adults make themselves scarce when we returned home so we too could enjoy a house without rules. Those few hours were perfect. It's amazing how rich communication can be when interruptions are eliminated. All I'm saying is, Home Depot is no longer our preferred date destination. Home was rather lovely instead. 








While there, Theresa knocked three items off our summer bucket list. They went to the trampoline park, had a themed dinner and Camp Aunt Theresa was fully experienced with a pool party and games. She is pretty awesome.




Grandma Carol sent $100 in game gift cards so all Ty's gaming dreams could come true. 




We celebrated Ty's twelfth birthday Tuesday. Theresa and the kids met me at Main Event where arcade games, lazer tag and a ropes course was tackled. We then had his requested homemade pizza and cookie cake. Twelve. The baby is twelve and my heart can't quite believe it. 





Kate and I slipped away to explore two local botanical gardens Wednesday. Yew Dell was gorgeous. We loved wandering through the natural paths and meeting elderly volunteers. The waterfront botanical garden wasn't nearly as impressive but we are glad we took the time to check it out. Afterward, we dined along the river on salads and shrimp tacos. 









Makenna did some shopping and was delighted with her purchase. I'm fairly certain my commitment to sobriety will be challenged as we discuss the wedding which is still very much in the infant stages of planning. I guess she is preparing me with wine tumblers. Wise friends promise sobriety is overrated anyway.

Austin is excited about our visit next week. He is counting down the days and keeps calling with updates. He wants us to go to the beach, to the zoo, to the pool and out for sushi. When I agreed to sushi, he told me I could sit beside him because I am his best friend. He melts me.
Thursday Ty recieved a gift from Kristin's family and was shocked. The drone is so very cool. He can't wait for the wind to die down so he can fly it.




Week seven wrapped with several curve balls but we are home and ready for a weekend together. 


No comments: