Saturday, February 13, 2021

Ice Storms and Heartbreak


On Monday I traded school car rider lines with Ava's mom and loved the change of pace. I asked about her day and she very dramatically declared it the longest, most boring day ever because her teacher wouldn't stop talking and said too many words. I failed to contain my laughter, imagining my five year old friends likely feel the same way about me. I mentioned how much I have missed her and she said, "duh! I was quarantining!" Her mom, needing a moment's peace has decided she is picking up the big kids on Mondays so my chats with Ava will be my Monday highlight from now on. I win.

Ice was the unwelcome theme for the week. Our first snow day of the year was needed. The second was accepted. The third and fourth were annoying. I'm ready for spring. But my house was cleaned, the taxes were filed, the air track resumed its position in the living room and some baking took place around e-learning school work. I enjoyed a nap with the cat who rarely chooses to sit with me. Perhaps it's because I rarely rest long enough for him to get comfortable. But Greg mentioned predictions of massive snow storms expected next week and I snapped. The same media that has pushed "scientific" based predictions for the last year has enjoyed also pushing weather drama and I am over all of it. It's not science. It's guess work based on the need for ratings. Rational? Probably not. But I am decidedly ready to tune out all of it. Ya'll pray for Greg. His wife is losing her mind. 

She is special.






The kids weren't able to play outside much as we literally only had ice. Snow is much more enticing. This; however, is not a request for more.




Video chats with Austin are delighting us all. He has been bear hunting as a dinosaur wearing his mommy's shoes. Based on how little I have worked these last weeks and the weather forecast for next week, I wish I'd headed to Georgia where they are complaining it's ONLY in the fifties. Bless their hearts. Hands down, I would take fifty degrees with my favorite two year old over ice storms any day. 




His bear hunt body language is amazing.



Becky spent the week slowly dying. It was a brutal process for her children to endure. As each update poured in, I prayed for peace. But I lacked it myself; wanting her joy to continue filling her family's world. I will miss my friend and her entertaining life mottos like, "well, I have divorced one husband and buried another. One isn't bothering me anymore." She had a way of rolling with the punches and laughing along the way. It goes without saying, she is leaving a void. I am specifically heartbroken for her son who spent his twenty-seventh birthday watching his mom slowly concede to death after losing his dad suddenly when he was two. Life simply isn't fair. I love you Becky and will always miss your beautiful smile, laugh and direct truth telling. Rest easy, my friend. 

No comments: