Thursday, November 23, 2017

Thankful, Grateful and Blessed


This was not the Thanksgiving we planned but this tends to be the theme for 2017. My mom was sick and so was my brother-in-law so extended family did not join us. Greg is swollen, sore and in need of a root canal. He has had a rough week, including a trip to the emergency room for an abscess to be removed from a tooth. This was not the first week in a new job he expected. He made a comment about not being able to keep a straight face and I quipped back, "Obviously. Your face is lopsided". As it turns out, dental humor is not appreciated in these parts.





There was a point, I felt nothing but sadness as I thought about the changes this year has brought and the challenges we have faced as a family. I had a choice to make. Either focus and the joy around my table or think about those we were missing; balancing praise and pain authentically. With the banter and laughter this group brings, joy wins just about every time. Thank God.



Lauren is 24 weeks along in her pregnancy and our little grandson is supposed to be the size of a cantaloupe. Some argue he is actually the size of Thanksgiving dinner.

No comments: