Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Laundry Soap

Greg earns the money. I try to stretch it.....I have been making my own laundry detergent for over a year. I am thrilled with the results and at 3cents per load, the little bit of effort is well worth it.
Grate 1 bar of Fels Naptha and allow to dry on a cookie sheet for three days. Mix with three cups of Borax and three cups of Arm and Hammer. All ingredients are available in the laundry isle at the grocery store. For locals, the Fels Naptha is available at JayC for 99 cents. Use one Tablespoon per load of laundry. It works as well as anything else I have tried. I wash bedding and towels in hot water but use the cold cycle for everything else. This stuff removes baby stains as well as anything else the kids may get into! I also use Shaklee cleaners. The Basic H is so concentrated that I've used only half a bottle in a year. I am a bit OCD about my house so that is being used very liberally. I have used one bottle of the germicide in a year...again, I am a bit of a clean freak so I like to use all natural, safe products for my home. If you have a more stubborn stain, a tiny bit of the Basic H concentrate as a laundry pretreatment has always worked for me. One last endorsement for Shaklee, the scrub is amazing on my smooth top stove. I had one jar for over 6 years when I passed the remnants on to a friend and ordered a fresh jar.

2 comments:

Jacqueline Utley said...

oh my goodness, Im going to try this! Thank you for sharing!

Jill May said...

I have been doing the laundry soap too, and I love it! I have found though, that I don't need to let the soap dry after I grate it. After I grate it, I put it in my blender and grind it into a powder and mix it with the other ingrediants, and it turns out great! it saves so much money!!!